Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Established by the government of British Columbia in 1981, Kwantlen, now Kwantlen Polytechnic University, has four campuses located in the Metro Vancouver region of British Columbia. KPU offers bachelor’s degrees, associate degrees, diplomas, certificates and citations in more than 120 programs. Almost 20,000 students annually attend courses at KPU campuses in Surrey, Richmond, Langley and Cloverdale
Kwantlen Polytechnic University currently offers a range of credentials, many of which are completely unique, to successfully meet the evolving needs of regional and global employment markets. Students have the opportunity to bridge certificate and diploma credentials into bachelor’s degrees, creating the option of academic and professional enhancement of applied and technical programs.
Why Choose KPU?
CANADA’S ONLY POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
- What is a polytechnic? Our polytechnic approach means that we combine academic excellence with hands-on, applied learning
- Skills for success. KPU is committed to student development and provides learners with relevant knowledge and practical skills for career success
- In a recent survey, 94% of students indicated that if they had to do it again, they would enroll at KPU
PRACTICAL AND CAREER FOCUSED
- Industry-driven programs with challenging and real world curriculum
- Applied learning in each class including projects, group work, presentations, guest speakers, and field trips
- Built-in practicums allow students to get practical experience and network with professionals
WIDE VARIETY OF PROGRAM FLEXIBILITY OPTIONS
- Over 120 diverse programs
- Choose your credential. We offer degrees, diplomas, certificates, citations, apprenticeship training and more
- Flexible scheduling allows you to take courses full-time or part-time with classes in the morning, afternoon or evening. Some online courses are also available
TEACHING FOCUSED UNIVERSITY
- Student-centered learning environment that brings together students, instructors, guest lecturers and industry experts
- Small, supportive classes. A maximum of 35 students per class. We hire expert faculty with real-world experience in their field and a passion for teaching
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
- We offer more than 30 student services to help you succeed
- Funding your studies. Over $2 million of scholarships and financial awards. Bursaries and other financial aid is also available
- Advising to help you succeed throughout your educational journey — course planning, major/minor selection, career options, and more!
- Learning Centre. Get tips and tricks on effective study skills, academic writing and learning strategies
- High-tech labs, studios, classrooms and facilities
- Four campuses located in Richmond, Langley, Surrey and Cloverdale (KPU Tech)
- Innovative and cutting-edge Chip and Shannon Wilson School of Design coming soon to our Richmond campus
PREPARATION FOR THE WORK FORCE
- Earn while you learn. Co-op education allows you to gain relevant, professional work experience, earn money and meet industry contacts in your field
- Hands-on practicums are built-in to many programs to provide professional work experience alongside your in-class education
- Study abroad and field school opportunities prepare you for a global marketplace
- Career Services offers coaching and job-finding resources for graduates, and can also help you to find part-time work and summer employment
BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
- Sport and recreational activities for all students
- Through the Kwantlen Student Association (KSA), students enjoy discounts on tickets from Cineplex Odeon and Famous Player theatres, Whistler/Blackcomb, and PNE and Playland
- Talon Fitness Centre is a dedicated exercise environment on the Surrey campus
- Opportunities to join student clubs
- Surrey campus gallery showcases artwork by students, faculty and other local artists
KPU Canada Facts
- More than 120 diverse programs, including career, vocational trades and technology programs
- Co-op education opportunities available in many programs
- International learning opportunities all over the world through Field Schools, Exchanges, Studies Abroad and International Co-ops, with opportunities available in most program areas
- Unique programs: The only graphic design for marketing program in Canada; one of the two fashion design degrees in the country; the only undergraduate journalism program in region; the only brewing diploma of its kind in the province
Students and Alumni
- More than 20,000 students annually
- Over 12,000 FTE (full-time equivalency) students annually
- Over 50,000 registered alumni
- Over 200,000 students educated at KPU to date
Faculty and Staff
- More than 1,400 faculty and staff
- 70+ researchers working on active sponsored research projects
- 21 projects are externally funded. Total value of these projects exceeds $2.58 million
- Lead Researchers and their projects work across the university, which includes three Research Institutes
- Formed by splitting from Douglas College in 1981
- Became Kwantlen University College, a degree-granting institution, in 1995
- Became Kwantlen Polytechnic University in 2008
Facilities and Future Plans
- Four modern, high-tech campuses in Surrey, Richmond, Cloverdale and Langley
- Highly energy effiecient facilities. From 1994 to 2014, KPU has increased space by 36% while decreasing natural gas use by 3% and electricity by 9%
- KPU has just over 1 million square feet of buildings
- KPU at 3 Civic Plaza will be opening in 2017
- Chip & Shannon Wilson School of Design: A state-of-the-art facility at KPU Richmond now under construction
- All campuses are accessible to those with mobility and visual impairments
- Learning Centres at Surrey, Richmond and Langley campuses
- Sport and Recreation offers intramural leagues, fitness classes, tournaments and much more.
- Surrey Campus gallery open to public, showcases artwork by students, faculty and other artists
- Aboriginal Gathering Place at Surrey Campus is an inviting gathering place designed to support student activities while recognizing the Aboriginal Nations
- Quiet Prayer and Meditation Space at KPU Surrey and KPU Richmond
- Public access to all Coast Capital Savings Libraries
- Universities Canada
- International Association of Universities
- BC Association of Institutes and Universities
- Business Council of BC
- Post-Secondary Employers’ Association
- Canada-India Business Council
- Trades Training Consortium British Columbia
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment
- Vancouver Board of Trade
What Can I Study?
As a polytechnic university, KPU Canada is committed to offering programs that provide a hands-on education for students. We know that getting an education is about growing as a person, and that a big part of that growth is acquiring the skills and gaining the understanding necessary for career success. KPU offers a comprehensive range of programs: liberal arts and science, technology and professional, trades and apprenticeship, and pre-university, ESL and developmental. Our programs are purposefully integrated, providing pathways that extend from high school through degree completion.There are seven Faculties at Kwantlen Polytechnic University:
Faculty of Academic and Career Advancement (ACA)
The Academic & Career Advancement department serves as a vital access point for many students who must meet prerequisites to enter KPU Canada programs, such as satisfying KPU Canada’s English proficiency requirement. Faculty and staff are committed to supporting students to achieve academic and career goals, including access to English language training for international students.
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts offers 14 disciplines and 2 interdisciplinary programs designed to provide learners with an education that is meaningful, relevant and engaging. The varied certificate, diploma, and degree programs will prepare you for the world by fostering critical thinking, encouraging creative expression, deepening social justice awareness, and refining skills.
Faculty of Business
KPU’s School of Business is the second-largest business school in Western Canada, with 16 program options, 150 faculty, and over 8500 students enrolled in courses annually. The goal is to provide students of diverse backgrounds, ages, and aspirations with a quality business education, and to prepare you for success in the workplace and/or graduate school.
Faculty of Health
The Faculty of Health programs vary in length from 4-year bachelor degrees to 15-week courses. Offering various degrees and certificates in the health care and education fields, faculty and staff support students in their learning by providing hands-on practical experience and theoretical education on the Langley campus.Note: Not all Faculty of Health programs are available to all international students.
Chip and Shannon Wilson School of Design
The Chip and Shannon Wilson School of Design is a leader in design education, offering programs on the Richmond campus in the areas of: fashion design, fashion marketing, graphic design, interior design, and product design. Classes are purposely small – only 18 to 25 students – so that students have the opportunity to work closely with faculty. These unique, highly-respected programs will prepare you to meet your personal and professional goals in the world of design.
Faculty of Science & Horticulture
The Faculty of Science and Horticulture offers a unique mix of basic and applied undergraduate programs, representing the true polytechnic mission of KPU Canada. Program offerings combine theory with an applied learning experience, and students can analyze and explore the world on a level most people never see. You may find your future at KPU Langley’s Faculty of Science and Horticulture!
Faculty of Trades & Technology
KPU’s Faculty of Trades & Technology offers several apprenticeship, foundation training and technical career programs on the Cloverdale campus. Foundation programs are a great way to learn about the requirements of a particular trade before embarking on an apprenticeship. The Faculty of Trades and Technology also offers certificates, citations, tickets and diplomas upon completion.Note: Faculty of Trades and Technology programs have limited enrolment so early application is strongly advised. International students are welcome to apply to Foundation and Technology programs. Apprentice programs, however, are not available for international students.